Replace GM Loftier Side Service Port with Schrader?

Friendly format provided to enquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Dougflas, Tim

jamyers
Posts: 21
Read the full commodity
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 am

Replace GM High Side Service Port with Schrader?

2000 Chevy Silverado five.three V8, the high side valve leaks. I idea it was a standard schrader valve in there, merely noooooo, GM had to come up with a new and improved (not actually) valve.

I can easily get the GM OEM-mode valve, simply is there a proficient replacement that uses a standard Schrader valve? From reading online, the OEM ones are problematic enough that people don't even want to hook gauges to them.

jamyers
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 vii:04 am

Re: Supervene upon GM High Side Service Port with Schrader?

Post past jamyers »

Nope, the original 1 is shot. No cap is going to seal this one...

Looks like the Dorman Products 800-955 is a Schrader Valve replacement for Ac Delco fifteen-5438 / GM 52458184, I'thou going to become my hands on 1 this afternoon and see, then postal service results here.

(With all the EPA freak-out over venting refrigerants, you'd remember they'd be all over GM about their OEM valve, which apparently has a long history of leaking refrigerants)

jamyers
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 am

Re: Replace GM High Side Service Port with Schrader?

Post past jamyers »

72gmc4x4 wrote:Information technology upsets me too to see them fail but if it'south the original valve, that affair is 16years erstwhile. I'd say that's a pretty long service life. I recall the reason the valve failed is because the gauges damaged it.

Yeah, I hear yous - 16 years isn't bad...but then the schrader valves in my '71 Buick are all original...and gauges don't kill them.

I'm notwithstanding calculation this valve to my "List of Grievances" that I'm going to accept with me if I always become upward to Detroit (which volition be NEVER), lol.

I dear this forum, best A/C info anywhere! :)

jamyers
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 am
GM Tech
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri April 22, 2016 seven:22 am

Re: Replace GM High Side Service Port with Schrader?

Mail service by GM Tech »

A practiced cap with rubber washer inside volition seal information technology--they all leak, this is how I test my sniffer- accept a cap off to test it....I was similar you - did non believe it until I tried it and talked to the lines and hoses engineers at GM- they designed the caps to seal as the primary seal- they tell me the valve is just there to seal off long plenty to put a cap on.

GM Tech
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:22 am

Re: Supercede GM High Side Service Port with Schrader?

Post past GM Tech »

The valves are not designed to leak, the caps are designed to be the master seal. If you are running without caps, so that is your pick.

Don't believe it? Do what I do, use your sniffer with cap off-- it goes nuts, put cap on (with good condom seal inside) snug information technology down - wait 5 minutes- re-sniff with sniffer, and sniffer is happy....I never leak check with hoses attached to vehicle, the cap and port could be the culprit, and yous'll never find it with the hoses fastened....been there washed that after thirty yrs.....